Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Choosing or Testing a DNS

1 post in this topic

Choosing a DNS

When we allow DHCP to configure the TCP/IP settings of our system(s), we usually get
those of our ISP. Our public IP address and the Gateway address map into the addresses
of that ISP (it has to else routing will fail). The other piece that we get is the DNS addresses
which also typically belong to that ISP. However, this is one we can set independently and
perhaps get some benefits in doing so:

• picking a well managed DNS can avoid cache poisoning,
  • if chosen well, can avoid redirections when the url does not map into an IP address

How can we specifiy our choice of DNS addresses?
There are two ways to alter the DNS settings:
  1. Alter the TCP/IP settings of the LAN connection on each system
  2. Alter the DNS settings in our router which will then get propagated to all attached system

(hint: A laptop user should NEVER alter the TCP/IP settings else risking connectivity problems at hotspots)

How can we test DNS performance and redirection?
I found a DNS Benchmark Tool from which will tell you a lot of useful information
on the DNS. The web pages contain lots of good stuff and you really out to read all of it,
but the program itself is easy to use.

download the test program @ and then run it on your system.
Click on the Nameserver Tab and then the Run Benchmark button - - wait for it to complete.
The default results will be [x] Sort fastest First and [x] show uncached.

the USAGE information is found at

The attachment is a list of well known ISP DNS addresses, the
and the OpenDNS servers all of which you can add to your test to determine if one of these
would be better for you. On the NameServers Tab, click Add/Remove and you can enter
as many DNS IP-addresses as you like.

After running the test, be sure to click on the Conclusion Tab to see the recommendations.
Personally, I found this warning
This system's nameserver intercepts name errors.
and to avoid as many redirections as possible, I have elected to use DNS settings that
provide both speed and no redirections. When you allow a 404 Page Not Found to be redirected,
you have no idea of where you landed or why you got there. I would rather see the 404 Page Not Found
and try to see if I created a typo or the website admin moved the page and broken the link.

Now look for solid green or at least green donuts in the second column - - avoid all gold items - -
nearet the top. These are the DNS servers which perform best for you and do not redirect.

Before you close the Benchmark Tool, save your test configuration to an INI file for next time
by clicking Nameservers Tab -> Add/Remove button and Save Nameservers to .INI File
(it will be saved to the same dir as the tool itself).

Local DNS settings.txt

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• DNS
      By rev_ollie
      This topic is going to look at possibly the most fundamental aspects of modern networks.

DNS - Domain Name System is a naming system used for computers, services or any other resource connected to a network. The system uses a series of low and high level services to translate names and numbers. This is an application layer protocol (OSI Layer 7)

Take a list of common websites I use:

I can remember each of these incredibly easily as the site or URL (Uniform Resource Locator) is easy to remember and links the domain to the physical site I want to go to. Incredibly easy.

Now look at this:

What are they and where do they go?
      They are the numerical raw format IP addresses for and an entry to Try Google and that will work - but the bbc address won't.
      A multi hosted site i.e multiple sites via a single IP will give you a mount/entry point but will not point directly to the resource.

Ok maybe we have gone full steam ahead...lets head back a bit.

So DNS will translate an IP to a host name > i.e will translate to The basis of this is simple:Its easy to remember...I have already forgotten the 9 number I need to get to google If the resources move or change you don't need to do anything. By the times you read this the address that points to google may have changed...but will still work.

Imagine having to update every link on Tech-101 simply because the IP address changed every 2 minutes - the internet would not function as it does now. Therefore DNS helps us use names instead of number hiding the actual background logic to how the internet works.
      What we combine is the ip address and the FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name) eg

So how does it work?
      As I mentioned DNS uses a hierarchy of top and lower level servers/domains to make up the system. By using different levels the load is spread between the servers - meaning no single server handles every request.

1 - The client will be given hints that will point it to the very root server. The root server will be the first point of contact and it will tell you where the domain server will be. I have typed in into my browser. Firstly the name will go through a WHOIS process - which in reality is the PC asking where is

The root server will reply with an address to the name server. So it may say "Try". This will be the name server for This will have links to domains (this actually happens to be a responder for

2 - My request will then be sent to the namespace. Google will be searched and a lower level name server found. It will say try ""

3 - This request could then end at the lowest level which would return "The address is actually"

This is all fake - but the concept is correct (along with the end IP). The root level tells you how to get to the top level which directs you to the relevant intermediate steps tothe secondary or local DNS servers. The Cisco example:

Root DNS Servers: Can tell you about .com, .org, (
      Top Level Domain Servers: Can tell you about (
      Secondary Level/Local DNS server: Can tell you about or

As you can see it can point me to mail servers and domain servers...the whole deal.

This is all about records - the root level servers will have a record for - but they will not know where the resource is located. These records - used by the DNS servers all have names and specific purposes - for example an MX record (Mail Exchange Record) is used to distinguish a mail exchange for a particular host. You can read all about records here (to many form e to remember):

The best way of looking at this is using the nslookup command under windows. This will translate either an ip to a hostname or hostname to ip.
      1. Click Start > Run > cmd (or Start > search for cmd)
      2. In the command prompt type in nslookup

This will return the server that initiated and resolved the repose (the responder) and the actual qualified address. Not all sites can be accessed using the ip returned by nslookup.
      Still this gives you an idea of what is going on.

This is a simple post and will improve shortly. However it should hopefully give a good taste of what DNS is and how it has helped shape the internet as it is today.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 3 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Newest Member